Petraki Monastery has existed for
more than 1000 years. ''Katholiko'', the central church within
the monastery, is built in the Byzantine style, the oldest
style of church architecture in Southern Greece.
The Monastery was renovated in 1673
by the Physician priest and monk, Parthenios Petrakis. Parthenios
and his successors protected the Monastery from barbarian
assaults and endowed it with lands, properties, and other
materials necessary for its maintenance. A considerable quantity
of Greek and foreign documents, dating between 1672 and 1820
are preserved in the files of the Monastery. They reveal that
the greater proportion of the property belonging to the Monastery
entered in to its prossession through personal gifts and spiritual
dedications made during those years.
The Monastery is known for its intensive and remarkable philanthropic
programme. For example, during the Ottoman domination of Greece
a. Offered free medical care and treatment on request,
b. Developed and maintained an elementary, primary and secondary
c. During 1806- 1821 established the “Deka school” - education
focused upon the Greek language and classical Greek,
d. In 1812 founded a school for scientific research in 1812.
Ôhe Monastery had an important role
in supporting the Greek people during their struggle for independence
After Greece acquired independence
in 1821, the Monastery continued to contribute to the welfare
of the newly established Hellenic State.
From 1834- 1846 the monastery served
as a military hospital. In 1922 received refugees from Asia
Minor. It has also provided accommodation for theological
students studying in the Divinity faculty of the University
of Athens. Later on a separate building was constructed dedicated
to the needs of theological students.
During the Second World War the Monastery distributed food
to the poor and at the same time provided free medicine to
the neighbouring population.
Since the establishment of the modern
Hellenic State in 1833 the Monastery has donated 170 parcels
of land for welfare purposes. To the Greek Government it gave
several acres of land for constructing central institutions
like the National Gallery and buildings associated with the
Nowadays the monastery is still known
as ‘’MONI PETRAKI’’. It continues to live out its significant
and spiritual role within the Orthodox Church. It remains
a unique place of prayer and consecration through its worship
and dedication to the Lord.
Petraki Monastery is, by the Grace of God, under the jurisdiction
of His Beatitude Christodoulos, the Archbishop of Athens and
All Greece. The Abbot is, Archimandrite Iakovos.
The monastic community consists of
20 monks who are archimandrites, priests, deacons and novices.
Living under a rule of obedience, each monk has his allotted
task so that the life of the Monastery is maintained. Additionally,
the monks serve as priests in the Holy Archdiocese of Athens
as well as assisting with diocesan administration.
Daily life for the monks revolves
around monastic cycle of prayer, beginning with the Midnight
Office and moving through to None, Vespers and Compline. They
also preside at the weekday and Sunday Liturgies, Matins,
Vespers and Memorial Services in parish churches throughout
the Archdiocese as well as administer the Sacraments of Holy
Confession and Holy Unction. At a time when the Orthodox Christian
faith is besieged by much modernism and heresy, they stand
strong in the face of the adversary presenting to the people,
the pure uncompromised truth of the Holy Orthodox Faith, the
Faith and tradition of the Apostles.